Saturday, May 9, 2009

If Only I Knew: Key to College

I have several days left till my graduation from college. I would have to say that this as been one of the best times in my life. Not only did I receive a higher education but I also learned about new studying habits, management, budgeting, and cultural diversity. Luckily, I have an older sister who taught me most of this so I didn’t have to worry too much about my transition from high school to college. However, not many newly high school grads have that same resource as I did and would most of the time have to experience it the hard way: actually being IN college. And I’m sure you have experienced that sometime of your college life, thinking…man, I wish I knew about this before. Making the lives of future college freshmen easier and more knowledgeable, Circle K International has designed a program to help with the transition from high school to college called Key to College.
Key to College was created to help mentor and advice high schoolers about college. The program doesn’t just target high school seniors but also those students who are interested in going to college afterwards. Additionally, students don’t have to be part of Key Club to attend.
Through this program, Circle Kers give high school students an insight about college. We can tell them about a normal day in school and can advice them about how to time manage studying and fun. We can also provide tips such as what to expect living in a dorm, how to schedule for classes, and how to study. Not only is this program aimed to inform what is coming ahead but also to help get into college. Circle Kers can help explain the application process and provide hints to make a great application.
Overall, Key to College is a great program to help prepare high schoolers for college as well as encourage them to continue working hard to get in. Talk to your CKI club about setting one up in your area! On the international website, we have resources to help you out, which include a pre-made flier and Powerpoint presentation, but you are more than welcome to create the program your own way. So let’s help out those high schoolers get into college, and maybe…just maybe, tell them to join Circle K International as well ;).

Written By: Melissa Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment